Thursday, February 25, 2010

לחם בבית by Uri Scheft

As many of you may know, I love bread. I mean... I LOVE it.
Bread is not only the perfect vehicle for all sorts of yummy things, when made properly, it can be delicious all by itself... sometimes, just sometimes, it might even be the star, no matter what you put on top of it.
Unfortunately, the art of making good bread can be elusive.
This brings me to little book I recently got my hands on and I would like to share with you.

לחם בבית by Uri Scheft is a little book with a little over a hundred pages that can be found at Lehamim Bakery on החַשְׁמוֹנָאִים street, Tel Aviv.
Step inside this place and you'll instantly be taken to Carb Heaven.
Everything looks delicious, fresh and beautiful to look at.
Cleverly, there are also bite size versions of pretty much everything... so you'll have no choice but to grab a box and to fill it up to your heart's content.
No wonder the place is always packed and just for once, I can understand what's all the buzz about.
So in a recent visit, my husband noticed they were selling a book. At 76.00 shekels a pop, I hesitated a bit, wondering if this wasn't another book like the one I bought from the restaurant Catit (a high-end collection of recipes you'll have a hard time  making at home). I browsed nervously and finally decided to take it home with me.
And rightfully so.
This book is a jewel of bread wisdom.
Well organized and straight to the point, it explains all the concepts behind making good bread at home. The recipes are not complicated, but either if you are new to bread making or not, I recommend not skipping the book's technical explanations, which are extremely valuable.
You can find bread recipes everywhere, but essentially, what makes the real difference is the process. In that aspect, this little book is a winner. If you follow it diligently, you'll be rewarded with beautiful tasty bread, just like what they sell at the shop.
Uri Scheft, if you ever stumble upon this humble blog:

Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment